Tropical Snow Peaks Climb & Lost City Trek
COL-16 / 15-day trip / Grade: F, T2
Climb: Nevado del Tolima Volcano (5221 m)
Trek: Lost City in Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta
The Tropical Snow Peaks and Lost City program combines active and cultural experiences, on an itinerary that provides a good picture of Colombia’s cultural and natural diversity.
The program goes from the metropolitan atmosphere of Bogotá, to the remote snowcapped volcanoes of the central Andes, and down to the tropical rain forest and archeological ruins of the lost City, ending on the beautiful beaches of the Colombian Caribbean coast.
– 5-day climb of the snowcapped Tolima volcano (5221 m), situated in Los Nevados National Park on the central Andes range. In addition to the climb, the coffee culture enriches the experience and can be enjoyed in the town of Salento, right in the heart of Colombia’s traditional coffee area.
– 4-day trek to La Ciudad Perdida of the Tayronas, known as “The Lost City”, one of the best restored and preserved archeological sites in the country. It is located in the Buritaca valley in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, the highest costal range in the world.
– Tayrona National Park and Caribbean beach lodge. To end this amazing program, there will be a visit to the famous Tayrona park with a easy gentle walk to enjoy some of Colombia’s best beaches.
|Day 1||Arrival in Bogotá (2660 m)|
|Day 2||Bogotá – City tour|
|Day 3||Bogotá – Salento (1919 m) – Coffee tour|
|Day 4||Trekking: “La Argentina” farm (3483 m)|
|Day 5||Trekking: “La Primavera” farm (3769 m)|
|Day 6||Trekking: Tolima’s high camp (4345 m)|
|Day 7||Climb: Tolima Volcano (5221 m)|
|Day 8||Trekking: Salento (1919 m)|
|Day 9||Armenia/Pereira – Santa Marta|
|Day 10||Pick-up – Trekking: “Donde Adan” lodge (480 m)|
|Day 11||Trekking: “El Paraiso” lodge (800 m)|
|Day 12||Trekking: Lost City (1320 m)|
|Day 13||Trekking: El Mamey (150 m) – End of trek|
|Day 14||Tayrona National Park|
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE LOST CITY TREK:
Requirements during the COVID-19 pandemic:
In order to hike the Lost City trek, the local indigenous communities required a NEGATIVE COVID test taken less that 72 hours prior to the start of the trek. The test has to be printed and shown to both your local guide and the control post at the trailhead. If fail to do so, no access will be granted.
– The Lost City trek closes once a year for a period of a month, usually around the beginning of September. This is due to Indigenous religious ceremonies.
If you are planning your trip around this time of the year, please contact us to confirm the exact restricted dates, as they vary slightly from year to year.
– This itinerary is the regular program, but it can be altered due to climatic and/or force majeure factors.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE VISIT TO THE TAYRONA N.P.:
– Due to new local indigenous communities’ regulations from 2021 the Tayrona National Park will close three times a year in the following periods:
* February 1st to 15th
* June 1st to 15th
* October 19th to November 2nd
COVID-19: Due to the current pandemic, please take the dates above as a guideline, as they might come more restriction according to the National Health institute and/or indigenous local authorities.
If you are planning your trip around these dates, please confirm with us the closure dates as they might change from year to year.