Los Nevados: South-North Trail
COL-34 / 8-day trip / Grade: T2-T3
Trekking: Los Nevados National Park from South to North
Climb-optional: Paramillo del Quindio (4745 m)
Los Nevados National Park located in the central Andes range and in the traditional coffee area of Colombia, is one of the high mountain parks in the country. Our South-North trail program covers the central section of the park, which is one of the most beautiful. The trail elapses four states: Tolima, Quindío, Risaralda and Caldas, over high mountain passes and with the option to climb/hike a very nice summit called Paramillo del Quindío (4745 m), the highest summit in that state, located right in the middle of the National Park. The Paramillo has one of the best 360º panoramic views, overlooking the three major snow capped volcanoes: Nevado del Ruiz (5321 m), Nevado del Tolima (5221 m) and Nevado del Santa Isabel (4965 m). On top of all this, the hikes are of extraordinary beauty, as many of them passes through different thermic floors, where it is possible to appreciate the biodiversity that characterizes the country. The hikes are not that difficult, but the area is known for the long distances to be cover during the daily itineraries.
|Day 1||Bogotá – Salento (1919 m)|
|Day 2||Trekking: “La Argentina” farm (3483 m)|
|Day 3||Trekking: “La Primavera” farm (3769 m) and “El Encanto Lake” (4026 m)|
|Day 4||Trekking: “Berlin” farm (3848 m) – Optional climb: Paramillo del Quindío (4745 m)|
|Day 5||Trekking: “El Otun” campsite (4054 m)|
|Day 6||Trekking: “Campo Alegre” farm (3970 m) – Coffee farm|
|Day 7||Coffee farm: Coffee tour|
Bogotá – Salento (1919 m)
Trekking: “La Argentina” farm (3483 m)
Trekking: “La Primavera” farm (3769 m) and “El Encanto Lake” (4026 m)
On the afternoon the group will do a relaxing hike to “El Encanto” Lake (the Enchanted lake), located west from the farms. The trail follows the Tolima’s valley for about 1,5 hour and then heads up to the lake for another 30 min. The lake is located in a small valley with a great view to the Nevado del Tolima and Paramillo del Quindío summits. Most of the hike will be done through a relative flat páramo ecosystem. The return to the farm will be done by the same trail.
Trekking: “Berlin” farm (3848 m) – Optional climb: Paramillo del Quindío (4745 m)
1. By the “El Boqueron” mountain pass (4270 m).
2. By the “Los Humedales de Quindío” wetlands (4193 m).
3. Optional climb: Paramillo del Quindio (4745 m).
Night in tents.
Trekking: “El Otun” campsite (3933 m)
Trekking: “Campo Alegre” farm (3970 m) – Coffee Farm
1. By the Western lake’s trail:
2. By the Eastern lake’s trail:
Coffee farm: Coffee tour
Bogotá (2660 m)
To request prices, please fill our your information in the BOOK THIS TRIP form in the sidebar.
- Local English speaking AWT mountain guide fro day 1 to 6
- Local assistant mountain guide from 4 people from day 2 to 6
- Private transfers in and out in Bogotá
- Private transportation throughout the entire program
- National Park entrance fee and park’s insurance
- 1 night in shared double rooms in hotel in Salento
- 2 nights in shared double rooms in coffee hacienda in Manizales
- 4 nights in shared tents at campsites
- Coffee tour in Manizales
- Quality mountain tents – 2 pax per tent
- Group common campsite equipment
- Mules for group/personal campsite equipment, food and pax personal gear (Packing and weight allowance – Information will be sent)
- Included meals specified in the day to day itinerary
- Domestic and international flights
- Personal camping equipment
- Everything not mentioned in the “Included” list