Exploring the Colombian Caribbean
COL-50-LT / 11-day trip / Grade: T2
Culture: Riohacha, La Guajira peninsula, & indigenous culture
Light Trekking: Trek to the Lost City & Tayrona National Park
During this trip, we will take you into the cultural and natural diversity of Colombia’s Caribbean coast. Even though geographical distances are relatively short, way of life and landscapes differ greatly from the arid and harsh conditions in the Guajira Peninsula, passing by the tropical forests of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, to the idilic beaches of the Tayrona National Park.
– 3-day trip to the northernmost point in South America: Punta Gallinas located in the Guajira peninsula, where the amazing sand dunes beaches meet the sea. On top of that, the cultural experience to see the Wayuu indigenous group’s way of life.
– 4-day trek to La Ciudad Perdida of the Tayronas, known as “The Lost City”, one of the best restored and preserved archeological sites in the country. It is located in the Buritaca valley in the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta, the highest costal range in the world.
– Tayrona National Park and Caribbean beach lodge. Visit to the famous Tayrona park with a easy gentle walk to enjoy some of Colombia’s best beaches in the country.
– All services are in private basis and of the best available quality, according to the area and possibilities.
|Day 1||Arrival in Riohacha, La Guajira|
|Day 2||Punta Gallinas – the Northernmost point of South America|
|Day 3||Cabo de la Vela|
|Day 4||Cabo de la Vela – Santa Marta|
|Day 5||Santa Marta & City tour|
|Day 6||Lost City – Trekking: “Donde Adan” lodge (480 m)|
|Day 7||Trekking: “El Paraiso” lodge (870 m)|
|Day 8||Trekking: Lost City (1175 m)|
|Day 9||Trekking: El Mamey (150 m) – Tayrona National Park|
|Day 10||Tayrona National Park|
|Day 11||Santa Marta – Departure|
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE LOST CITY TREK:
– The Lost City trek closes once a year for a period of a month, usually around the beginning of September. This is due to Indigenous religious ceremonies.
If you are planning your trip around this time of the year, please contact us to confirm the exact restricted dates, as they vary slightly from year to year.
– This itinerary is the regular program, but it can be altered due to climatic and/or force majeure factors.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR THE VISIT TO THE TAYRONA N.P.:
– Due to new local indigenous communities’ regulations from 2020 the Tayrona National Park will close three times a year in the following periods:
* February 1st to 15th
* June 1st to 15th
* October 19th to November 2nd
If you are planning your trip around these dates, please confirm with us the closure dates as they might change from year to year.